Shift: Nights (rotating weekends)
The EST I under the direction of the Medical Director, Emergency Services Manager & Director, and Registered Nurse is responsible for implementing technical procedures and care on all Emergency Department patients safely and effectively according to the Paramedic scope of practice.
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of intermediate patient care, to include vital signs, venipuncture, urinary catheterization, cardiac monitoring, and 12 lead EKG.
- Participates in the Quality Improvement Process.
- Demonstrates knowledge and respect of patients’ right to privacy and protection of patient’s confidentiality.
- Monitors and documents information regarding patient activities, as directed by the Registered Nurse.
- Plans and implements patient care and teaching based on a total assessment and age of the patient.
- Evaluates and documents patient response; monitors and recognizes changes in physiological and psychosocial status; takes appropriate action based on assessment of the patient.
- Promotes and displays a positive customer oriented demeanor to patients, visitors, staff, and physicians.
- Maintain clear communication with attending physician and licensed nurse assigned to patient about all patient care issues.
- Assist registered nurse by communicating any information collected during the interaction with the patient or family. Receive patients from EMS personnel.
- Monitor patients for arrhythmias, document EKG strips, and report findings to licensed nurse assigned to patient.
- Measure and record patient’s input and output.
- Administer medication from
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care, or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.