The Emergency Department (ED) Technician, under the supervision of Nursing Staff, assists in the provision of emergency care. Performs duties and direct technical care requiring knowledge of basic patient care principles and medical technology.
Essential Functions of the role:
- Assists in patient care duties. Collects objective data such as vital signs, weight, pulse oximetry reading, pain scale reading, pain scale rating, visual acuity, nutritional intake and output and documents on appropriate forms.
- Recognizes and reports abnormal data or findings promptly. Implements Physician, Provider and Nursing orders responsibly and documents interventions according to Hospital protocol.
- Provides direct technical care. Assists with mobility, toileting, feeding and other personal care needs.
- Performs phlebotomy to obtain venous blood samples and obtains and delivers other specimens for Laboratory analysis.
- Assists or transports patients to and from the department.
- Assists in patient education. Comforts patients and family members and responds to their concerns.
- Performs clinical coordination activities.
- Communicates effectively with Nurses, Physicians, and other healthcare team members to gather and exchange information related to patient care.
Corpsman Certificate preferred.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) preferred.
- Location/Facility - Baylor University Medical Center - Dallas
- Specialty/Department/Practice - Emergency Department
- Shift/Schedule - Full time evenings with three 12 hour shifts 10:00 AM-10:00 PM per week & rotating weekends