30+ Days ago
St. Louis, MO
1 day ago
- Makes pre-operative evaluations on all patients assigned to his/her care. Studies chart for results of history and physical, medical consults, and pre-operative tests, to determine probable effects of anesthesia on the patient, and takes appropriate actions to correct abnormalities if possible. Initiates EKG, blood pressure and pulse oximeter monitors prior to induction.
- Assists in positioning patient on operating table, taking care to protect the patient from injury.
- Induces anesthesia on direction of attending surgeon.
- Administers anesthesia under direction and supervision of anesthesiologist in collaboration with surgeon. Supports life functions during the administration of anesthesia, including induction and intubation. Maintains anesthesia at appropriate levels. Administers no more than one anesthetic at a time.
- Provides appropriate pre-anesthesia and post-anesthesia management of the patient.
- Recognizes and takes appropriate corrective action (including requisitioning consultation when necessary) for abnormal patient responses to anesthesia or to any adjunctive medication or therapy. Provides professional observation and resuscitative care (including requesting consultation when necessary) until the patient has regained control of his vital functions. Provide other forms of patient care, such as emergency intubation, inhalation therapy, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation as needed.
- Record all pertinent data on the anesthesia record. Inform PACU nurse of patient's condition and any expected problems. Keep surgeon informed of patient's condition at all times.
- Follows established infection control guidelines and reports safety hazards for immediate resolution.
- Assembles necessary supplies and equipment needed, and tests equipment to assure proper function prior to commencing anesthesia. Disassembles and cleans equipment according to policies of the department. Requisition necessary equipment, supplies, adjustments and repairs.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Under the direction of anesthesiologist(s), assess, plans, coordinates, and implements and evaluates patients receiving anesthetic care.
- 10 hour shifts from Monday through Friday with alternating weekly off day.