129 Days Ago
1 day ago
Assumes responsibility for the processing of supplies, instruments, and equipment through cleaning, packaging sterilizing, and storing procedures. Operates autoclaves, steris, washer sterilizer, ultrasonic washer and all other processing services and supplies. Assist in inventory control and procurement.
1. High School diploma or equivalent
2. Vocational / Technical education
3. Certified Surgical Technician preferred
4. IAHCSMM Certification is required within one year of employment or transfer to the position.
Essential Job Functions*:
1. Prepares supplies and equipment needed for patient care including inventory of special equipment or supplies required for the case. Communicates any special supplies to the staff as needed and assures that the loaned supplies and/or equipment are returned upon completion.
2. Supervises or prepares case carts for surgical cases assuring they are picked appropriately.
3. Conforms to uniformity and simplicity of instrument trays and sets. Tests all instrumentation for its effectiveness and handling. Correctly packages and wraps all supplies and instruments.
4. Performs routine safety check of equipment and arranges repairs as needed. Can properly operate and troubleshoot equipment, i.e. steris and sterilizers.
5. Ensures the department is in compliance with recommended practices (AORN, AAMI, and JCAHO).
6. Prepare, wash, and sterilize instrument. Follow standards for labeling of packages and containers. Coordinate turnovers and late changes to the schedule to promote continuity of flow. Maintain sterility while opening item for surgical cases.
7. Maintains a good working knowledge of the OR schedule and can troubleshoot minor problems and communicate with supervisor appropriately.
8. Is knowledgeable of the supply program and can order supplies as needed in support of the OR schedule.